- Jo Martin, the Fugitive Doctor actor, encountered a classic Doctor Who villain, a Dalek, during her recent visit to the BBC.
- The Fugitive Doctor remains a mysterious incarnation of the Time Lord, with limited appearances in the main Doctor Who show.
- The Fugitive Doctor’s story is being explored in Doctor Who‘s expanded media, including a comic series and a Big Finish audio drama.
Fugitive Doctor actor Jo Martin comes face to face with a classic Doctor Who villain during a recent visit to the BBC. Martin made her Doctor Who debut in season 12’s “Fugitive of the Judoon,” where it was revealed that she was a previously unseen incarnation of the titular character who was hiding from Time Lord authorities on Earth. The Fugitive Doctor is a version who predates William Hartnell‘s original First Doctor, acting as an agent of the clandestine Division and taking on missions for Time Lords.
Through her Twitter account, Martin shared a photo that she took during a recent visit to the BBC of her standing alongside one of the bronze Time War-era Dalek props.
Though the Doctor tends to be one of the arch enemies of the beings from Skaro, Martin joked that no trouble came of the encounter as she was in a good mood at the time.
The Fugitive Doctor’s Secretive Story Is Only Just Beginning
Martin’s version of the Doctor remains the most mysterious incarnation of the Time Lord to date. Currently, there has only been one actual adventure involving the Fugitive Doctor in the main Doctor Who show, with that being her original appearance in “Fugitive of the Judoon.” Other appearances by Martin’s Doctor have either been through flashbacks experienced by the Thirteenth Doctor (Jodie Whittaker), or as constructs of either the Matrix or the Doctor’s emergency hologram protocols.
Despite this, however, the Fugitive Doctor’s tenure is getting explored in Doctor Who‘s expanded media, diving into her life before landing in the Totters Lane scrapyard. Written by Jody Houser with art by Roberta Ingranata, and released across four issues from June to September 2022, the Doctor Who: Origins comic series depicted the missions the Fugitive Doctor took for Division leading into her debut. A Big Finish audio drama series following the Fugitive Doctor is also in development, with Martin set to reprise her role.
The Fugitive Doctor’s life is wrapped in mystery and a potentially murky morality due to her past with Division. As such, it will be interesting to see this unexplored corner of Chris Chibnall’s time as Doctor Who showrunner fleshed out further. Though there are still no hints at when Martin will return to the franchise, her reunion with one of the Time Lord’s deadly rivals is sure to spark interest in bringing her back someday.
Jo Martin’s appearances as the Fugitive Doctor can be streamed as part of Max’s Doctor Who collection.
Source: Jo Martin/Twitter
- Release Date:
- Jenna Coleman, Jodie Whittaker, Alex Kingston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi
- Adventure, Mystery, Sci-Fi
- As the last of the alien species known as the Time Lords, the Doctor travels through time and space in his TARDIS, a time machine thats bigger on the inside than the outside, seeking out adventures in the ancient past and unimagined future while also serving as the protector of Earth and mankind. With a human companion by his side, the Doctor meets extraordinary – and sometimes deadly – characters and creatures from across the universe.
- Doctor Who
- Story By:
- Sydney Newman C. E. Webber Donald Wilson
- Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Neil Cross, Steven Moffat, Chris Chibnall
This website aggregates and curates news articles, blog posts, and other content from a variety of external sources. While we aim to link back to the original source, this site does not own or claim ownership of any articles, posts, or other content indexed on this site. The views, opinions, and factual statements expressed in each piece of aggregated content belong solely to its respective author and publisher. We make no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy or completeness of aggregated content. Visitors are advised to verify facts and claims through the original source before reuse or redistribution.